Spent another night immersed in colour (and water). This time it was the blues' turn.
I'm always amazed that these (left) end up looking like this (right) ... after a little attention! The superfine merino fibre takes the dye so well and the lustre shows through on the finished product. I could roll in it it's so yummy! I am aiming to have as wide a colour range as possible for Deloraine and it's the reds' turn tonight.
The Lucky Ewe now has Ludwig's Yarn. 8 ply millspun english leicester from Tasmania's northern midlands. Again, it just laps up the colour and the results are beautiful. Available in natural in hanks of around 450-500 grams....and a range of hand-dyed hues by us.
I've also been playing with bamboo. We have a quantity of natural chain construction 8 ply bamboo yarn in-store and the natural is nice, but a bit boring so out with the dye! Landscape fibre-reactive dyes don't take too well and tend to wash out so I tried the new iDye from Jacquard. With the addition of a good measure of salt, I used the pot method on the stove and found that the colour took really well, HOWEVER, following the wash instructions for bamboo is ciritical - wash in cold water as hot water will leach out the dye. I think I'll make a nice lacey top from the sample and see how it goes.
|English Leicester hank drying together with sunny daffodil yellow 8 ply bamboo|